WNY Contemplative Faculty & Staff Group
We are a quickly growing group of faculty, scholars and staff across WNY colleges and universities who are infusing a contemplative dimension into the higher education system as a means of fostering student well-being and academic success. We define "contemplation" as encompassing all forms of contemplative practice.
A mindful higher education system for a just, compassionate, and inclusive society
Awareness Collaboration Transformation
as reflected in our Mission
- We are an inter-institutional collaborative of faculty, staff, and scholars in the Western New York area dedicated to enhancing teaching, learning, and wellbeing by infusing the higher education system with mindfulness and empowering our communities through contemplative practices and pedagogies.
- We seek to embody and cultivate compassion, intention, and acceptance, and to serve as a resource for programming, research, and communication.
- We build community that spans and exceeds disciplinary and institutional boundaries, one that fosters integrity and transparency. We respect and honor the contributions and experiences of people of all backgrounds, identities, and abilities.
- We promote continuous academic inquiry into the educational efficacy of contemplative practices.
- We advocate for awareness-based transformative change on all levels - individual, institutional, and systemic - thus working toward an ever more just, compassionate, and inclusive society.
The group serves as a hub to bring professionals together across disciplines and institutional boundaries to support one another in our work, to foster collaboration and networking, and to organize on-campus events to promote the educational efficacy of contemplative practices.
What is Contemplative Education
A philosophy of higher education that integrates introspection and experiential learning into academic study to support student engagement, develop self-awareness, hone analytical and critical capacities, and cultivate interpersonal skills. Students are invited to apply first-person experiences to their learning process, to deepen their connection with learning and foster the development of meaning and purpose.
The following 3 inter-institutional initiatives are currently underway. Click on the links below to learn more, and contact us to get involved!
announcements & News
All faculty and staff at WNY colleges and universities are welcome. We meet twice a month during the academic year, and once a month during the summer. To foster connectivity throughout the growing contemplative education community in WNY, our meetings rotate among the University at Buffalo's North campus, Buffalo State, Niagara University, and other WNY campuses. For information about our next meeting, contact Dr. Lisa Napora at firstname.lastname@example.org.