other educational assistance for veterans and military personnel
WORK-STUDY BENEFITS (22-8691)
Applicable to Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606 and 1607.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) work-study program permits eligible veterans to perform services for DVA in return for a monetary allowance equal to the prevailing federal minimum wage.
- DVA work-study payments are non-taxable.
- Eligible veterans may contract for a maximum of 750 hours of service in a fiscal year. This may not exceed 250 hours in a quarter, semester, or other applicable enrollment period.
- Work-study services may be performed at DVA regional offices and educational institutions, DVA medical facilities, DVA national cemeteries, and certain other organizations approved for outreach activities. The services must be DVA-related.
- The student must be attending at least 3/4 time and pursuing a program of education or training under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606 or 1607.
- Whenever feasible, DVA will give priority in selection for this allowance to veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30% or more.
- DVA will consider the following additional selection criteria:
- the need of the student to augment his or her educational assistance;
- availability to the student of transportation to the place where his or her services are to be performed;
- motivation of the veteran; and
- compatibility of the work assignment to the student's physical condition.
- It is the student's responsibility to locate an approved Veterans Affairs work-study site.
Tutorial Assistance (22-1990t)
- Tutorial assistance is available for people who are receiving educational benefits under chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606 and 1607.
- Tutorial assistance is a benefit paid in addition to the regular monthly educational assistance allowance.
- To qualify, the student must require tutorial assistance in a subject matter that is part of, prerequisite to, or indispensable to the approved program of study pursuant to a college degree on at least a half-time basis.