WNY student 2 biz challenge
The WNY Student 2 Biz Challenge is a collaborative effort between the 21 Consortium members and promotes entrepreneurship between student teams along six categories:
- Information Technology/Software
- Nanotechnology/Advanced Technology
- Social Entrepreneurship/Non-Profit
Currently enrolled graduate and undergraduate students from Western New York colleges and universities are encouraged to submit business plans around a student-born innovation that is designed for a currently unmet need. Teams are invited each year to pitch their venture to an external panel of investor judges at the New York Business Plan Competition. Teams should consist of one to a maximum of six members, excluding the adviser. Students from different academic areas are encouraged to work together to create the strongest team possible. One faculty member is required to be listed as an advisor for the team; offering guidance, support, and technical expertise.
The Student 2 Biz Challenge is championed by Canisius College Women's Business Center and the University at Buffalo Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership and after a regional competition on April 18, 2013, culminates in a New York State competition in Albany. The format for the regional competition will be the same as the finals. Each team will have 10 minutes to pitch, which will be followed by 5 minutes of Q&A with the panel of judges. There will be general consistency with this format across all regional competitions. The competition is open to all undergraduate and graduate students. Each group must have a faculty adviser. With over $225,000 in prizes and an incredible upwelling of entrepreneurial energy in Western New York, we are excited about the possibility of taking home a statewide award!
In the summer of 2013, a number of WNY winners will be offered a opportunity to incubate their businesses for up to a year on their home campuses. Each incubated team will be connected with college faculty, institutional resources, and a team of five external mentors to support the development of their business. The goal is to help launch student businesses grounded in innovation, research, and strong mentorship while providing an economic boost to the the WNY economy.
competition information for Students
Student applications are due March 15, 2013 at 12:00 Noon to Melinda Rath Sanderson, Executive Director of the Canisius Women's Business Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sorry, late applications will not be accepted. Winning teams will be announced on this web site on March 29, 2013. The regional competition will be hosted on April 18, 2013 at Canisius College. For more information on the local competition, click on WNY Student 2 Biz Challenge. Winners of the local competition will compete at the state competition in Albany on April 26, 2013. For more information on the state competition, see below.
- Judges' Rubric for Competition
- 2013 Competition Flyer
- Student Application for the 2013 Competition
- 2013 Competition Rule Book
- Sample Format and Contents for the New York State Business Plan Competition
- Sample Business Plan Proposal: Softgrip Robotics
- Entrepreneurial Programs on the 21 WNY College and University Campuses
- For more information you can call Melinda Rath Sanderson, Executive Director of the Canisius Women's Business Center at (716) 888-8280 or email her at email@example.com.
- Questions to Consider When Formulating Your Idea
- Entrepreneurship Resource List
NYS Business Plan Resources
- New York State Business Plan Web Site
- New York Sate Business Plan Judges
- New York State Business Plan Sponsors
- New YorkState Business Plan Regional Partners
- New York State Business Plan History
- New York State Business Plan Testimonials